SHI Privacy Statement
If you are a resident of the European Union, please click here for our Privacy Statement.
Effective Date: 12/19/19
Date Last Reviewed: 12/19/19
This document constitutes a binding agreement (the “Privacy Statement” ) between SHI International Corp. and its affiliates (“us”, “we”, or “SHI”) and all visitors, users, and others who reside in the United States (“consumers” or “you”) regarding the collection and processing of personal information by means of the website accessible via the domain name shi.com (the “Website”). SHI respects the confidentiality, integrity, and security of your personal information. This Privacy Statement is intended to help you understand and manage how we collect and safeguard your personal information.
This Privacy Statement and our practices comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this Privacy Statement. The treatment of any non-personal information is discussed in our Terms and Conditions.
Collection of Information
Our Website collects information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household (“personal information”). In particular, within the last twelve (12) months SHI’s site has collected from its consumers the categories of personal information identified with the word “YES” in the following chart:
||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80I).
||A name, signature, address, telephone number, employment, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
|D. Commercial information.
||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
|E. Biometric information.
||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.
||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
|G. Geolocation data.
||Physical location or movements.
|H. Sensory data.
||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
|I. Professional or employment-related information.
||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99).
||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.
||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Personal information does not include publicly available information from government records or de-identified or aggregated consumer information. SHI obtains the categories of personal information listed above either directly from you, or indirectly from you.
Information Automatically/Indirectly Collected
When you visit our Website, the following information about your visit is automatically collected by us, as it is sent by your browser when you access any webpage:
- your computer's or mobile device's operating system;
- the application or software that you used to access our Website;
- the time you accessed our Website;
- your browser type, language configuration, clicks, and page views;
- the terminal with which you accessed our Website; and
- the websites you visited before accessing our Website.
The aim of this automatic collection and processing is to obtain visit statistics in order to improve our Website and your experience as a customer. In particular, we use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the Website and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
- User identity, in the form of unique identifiers recognized only by our system;
- User authentication status, so we know if you are currently logged in or not;
- an identifier for which server is handling this session, to facilitate interactive reports;
- a token identifying the user's session, used in order to prevent certain types of security breaches; and
- transient information relating to the state of the current session.
We only use these cookies to facilitate the operation of the Website; they are not and will not be used for any other purpose, and no data related to those will be made available to any third party now or in the future. These cookies do not allow tracking of you in any way , and are only necessary for the operation of our Website.
You may, at any time, modify, delete or block the cookies stored on your device by SHI. This may affect your usage of or access to the Website. Please refer to your browser's documentation to learn how to proceed. By visiting the Website without disabling this function, you accept the use of these cookies.
Use of Personal Information
We may use, sell, or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a price quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries.
- To personalize your Website experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Website, products and services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
SHI will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you with notice.
Sharing of Personal Information
SHI may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose or sell your personal information (within the definition of the CCPA) by sharing individual names and/or business contact information with industry partners , subject to your right to opt-out of those sales. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter into a contract with that service provider that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. The CCPA prohibits third parties who purchase the personal information we hold from reselling it unless you have received explicit notice and an opportunity to opt-out of further sales.
We share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers.
- Data aggregators.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, SHI has disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, SHI has sold the following categories of personal information:
- A. Identifiers.
- B. California Customer Records personal information categories.
- D. Commercial information.
We may sell your personal information to industry partners, in certain circumstances as described above.
Rights Regarding Personal Information
You have certain specific rights regarding your personal information, as outlined below.
Access and Portability Rights
You have the right to request that SHI disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that SHI delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable request to us by either:
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a request on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative; and
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request. We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Personal Information Sales – Opt-In and Opt-Out Rights
If you are 16 years of age or older, you have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of consumers less than 16 years of age, unless we receive affirmative authorization from either the consumer who is between 13 and 16 years of age, or the parent or guardian of a consumer less than 13 years of age. Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time. To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may submit a request to us by visiting the following link:
Once you make an opt-out request, we will wait at least twelve (12) months before asking you to reauthorize personal information sales. However, you may change your mind and opt back in to personal information sales at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.
We have implemented appropriate security measures in order to protect your personal information, both online and off-line. All access to the Website is, by default, encrypted and protected. SHI supports TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 encryption, and recommends use of TLS 1.2 encryption.
All personal information is stored in database servers that cannot route traffic outside our internal network, and that have no access to the public Internet. Physical access to our servers is restricted; the servers are located in a datacenter that is only accessible to designated IT staff and is properly locked and off-limits to visitors.
All user passwords are stored using a one-way hash function. It is impossible for us to see what these passwords are; we can only verify that the hash value of what the user has entered matches the stored value.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under this Privacy Statement.
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Statement at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Privacy Statement, we will notify you through a notice on the Website homepage.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, the ways in which we collect and use your personal information, or your choices and rights regarding such use, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.